Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Artificial Stress


Last night, I had many bizarre dreams. One of which was somewhat of a combination of my current college and my past high school. Many occurrences took place in this dream, but I distinctly remember the one I am about to share, for I dreampt it right before waking up.

I was nearly done with finals, I just had one more to go, and for some reason, I was really stressing out about it. Then I remembered, there was no reason to stress, it was just my english final, with mr stenberg (I took english with Mr. Stenberg as a junior in high school). IT was then that I had realized, of course, I hadn't gone to mr stenberg's class all quarter, of course, (because it doesnt exist where I go to school...duh). Nonetheless, I go to the final, and sit down with some friends. Stenberg looks the same as he always has, but for some strange reason he has a thick east european accent; he can't pronounce anything the way I remember him being able to in the past.

As I enter the room, he is harping at us about how nobody came to his review sessions, let alone, his classes. I look at one chalkboard, and see a huge list words under a category titled "Illiteral", In addition to these words, there are many complex puzzles and diagrams, all of which I had little to no understanding. On the other board, there were many words under the category of "irrational" which I did not understand either. I thought to myself: "well, here goes, I'm really going to fail this one"
and I began kicking myself for not attending class. Stenberg said "im sure you are all very scared for this final, well, I taught 42 empty classes, so...so am I!"

that is where the dream ended.

Looking back on the dream, I see it as a message to myself. A message telilng me that I stress myself out over the smallest, most unnecessary things. In this case, I am on spring break, and have nothing to stress over, so my mind created this dream, and I woke up stressed as hell!

It is very clear to me now that the feeling of stress is entirely separate from a huge workload, a struggling relationship, or anything like that. Stress has its own entity, and I believe it can be avoided in nearly every circumstance. As we see in my dream, my reasoning for stress was completely fallacious, my dream was a shitty situation, but for that stress to carry over to real life when I awoke, was complete nonsense. And somehow, I think it is no coincidence that the words on the chalkboards were "illiteral" and "irrational," for they were a description of my thoughts at the time.

So uhh, there you have it.

[end]

No comments:

Post a Comment